Looking for something specific?

Saturday 14 January 2017

Castle on the Hill Painting

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Hi! Happy Saturday! I'm really sorry about not posting throughout the week😅 What with school, homework and everything in between, I just wasn't prepared for the week! However, I will make an effort this week! So anyway, enough apologies, let's get into the actual post. So, today I did a painting. But not just any old painting! This one was inspired by Ed Sheerans new song 'Castle on the Hill'. I was listening to the song, wondering what the castle on the hill looked like and an image popped into my head. It was then that I decided to paint it and this is the result:

Painting of a scene from 'Castle on the Hill'


Yes, I am aware that it's not the most amazing painting you've ever seen, and that it has many imperfections but, I had fun making it and I'm fairly proud of it! Now, In case you're wondering I am going to take you step by step through how I painted this, just in case you want to give it a go! But first, a very artsy picture of this painting:

Black and White image of a painting

What you'll need:
Watercolour paper (140gsm) or any kind of thick paper or card
A pencil
Watercolours (you can also use acrylics I did towards the end!)
Brushes (Any ones will do)
Markers(Black and brown)

Step 1:
The first thing I did was sketch out the skeleton of what I was going to paint. You're going to need a castle on a hill and some people. I also added a tree in the foreground. This is what it looked like:
A rough sketch on paper
Step 2:
I then painted the sky. Obviously, it's a sunset! I made purple with ultramarine and allizerin crimson (that's red and blue, in case you don't have the exact colours). The purple goes at the top, followed by the same red that you used to mix the purple. Next, mix the red with a yellow, (I used Cadmium yellow) and add that next. Finally, use that yellow at the bottom of your sky.
Watercolour painted sunset sky
Step 3:
Hills next! I made the green for the hills by mixing the yellow and blue that had previously been used and painted the front hill with that. I made that green darker by adding Burnt Umber (or dark brown) and more blue until it was the desired colour. The dark green was painted onto the farther hill. At the same time as the hills, I also painted a light coat of brown onto the tree. I made the brown with the leftover orange and purple from the sky.
Watercolour painted hills

Intermission:
Have a quick break because you're almost half way finished! While you relax for a few minutes have a look at this lovely picture of my paint palette!
Oooooooh, artsy photos!😍😆
Anyway, onto step 4!

 Step 4:
Ok, there is quite a lot that's been done between this step and the last one! Oops! Anyway, I'll explain as best I can. So, what I've done is fill in the castle with black acrylic paint. Remember, don't be afraid to mix different mediums! I also mixed some green and black acrylic paint and used it to add a forest of trees on the hill for some interest. I thought it looked a bit boring! I used a brown marker to add some detail to the bark of the tree before I used that same colour to add leaves to the tree. I did the leaves by dabbing my brush onto the paper. I also used a lighter green for some interest.

Step 5:
Now is the time to fill in the people, it's not as hard as you might think! Just use some black acrylic paint and basically just fill in the blobs and circles that you made until they look vaguely like human beings, don't worry about detailing them it's a silhouette! From here, you can make any final adjustments you like before moving on to the final step!
Step 6:
I guess you could call this step optional but, to link it in with the song just a bit more, I wrote some of the lyrics in the sky and voila! It's done! Here's a photo of my finished painting:
Finished painting of a scene from Castle on the Hill

And that concludes this post! Be sure to follow me on all my social medias by clicking the icons on the right! Also, if you recreate this painting, post a picture on Instagram, Twitter or anywhere else and make sure to tag me so I can see! Lastly, I just want to know: Shape of You or Castle on the Hill? Obviously, I prefer Castle on the Hill but, what do you think? There's a poll under this post (Or at the bottom of the webpage!) so let me know your thoughts!
                                                Over and out-Saph💖xx
  

No comments:

Post a Comment